Re: Postgresql server src files for 8.1.4 on FreeBSD

From: bob(dot)middaugh(at)comcast(dot)net (Bob Middaugh)
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Postgresql server src files for 8.1.4 on FreeBSD
Date: 2007-08-16 15:35:53
Lists: pgsql-ports

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
> > Am Donnerstag, 16. August 2007 16:46 schrieb Bob Middaugh:
> >> I installed the FreeBSD port of the 8.1.4 server. That went fine, no
> >> problems there. I'm trying to compile the build for OpenNMS now and it
> >> wants some postgreql src files. I untarred the FreeBSD port and I was able
> >> to find postgresql.h under /src/include, but now it wants pg_config.h and
> >> pg_config_os.h.
>
> > You need to run ./configure to get these files.
>
> If you're trying to match an existing installation, be careful to
> configure with the same options that the package maker used
> (pg_config --configure should tell you that).
>
> On the whole, a prebuilt package *should* provide those files for you,
> just to avoid potential mistakes. Are you sure you have the whole
> port package? Maybe you need a -devel subpackage or something like
> that (that's where they live in RPM-land, anyway).

Thanks Tom,

./compile in the src directory created pg_config.h and pg_config_os.h for me under /src/include and my build completed successfully. ( forgot to CC the list when I thanked Peter.) FreeBSD ports aren't prebuilt packages, it's src that you run "make clean install" against. For some reason during Make, FreeBSD puts postgres.h under /src/include, but not the other two anywhere...go figure.

Bob