Re: pg_dump.options.diff

From: "Serguei Mokhov" <mokhov(at)cs(dot)concordia(dot)ca>
To: "Manfred Koizar" <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: pg_dump.options.diff
Date: 2003-01-02 17:41:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Sent: January 02, 2003 9:29 AM

> Maybe we should not try to be cute, but just do
>
> #if defined(HAVE_GETOPT_LONG)
> #define xo(long,short,desc) printf("%s %s\n", long, desc)
> #else
> #define xo(long,short,desc) printf("%s %s\n", short, desc)
> #endif
>
> xo(_("-f, --file=FILENAME "),
> _("-f FILENAME "),
> _("output file name"));
>
> so that the column spacing remains under control of the translator.

Looks good to me, but there is still a little inconvenience
of multiline option descriptions, and the above won't handle
it nicely.

If people agree with the above, can I go ahead and make corresponding
changes?

OR

may be a whole generic option-formatting routine
should be created; one for all the tools? ;-)
Similar to explain_option() of Manfred,
which will handle the mulitline, padding, and other stuff?
(am being half serious here, but it could be an "option")

-s