Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

From: "Jonathan Bond-Caron" <jbondc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "'A(dot) Kretschmer'" <andreas(dot)kretschmer(at)schollglas(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules
Date: 2008-05-27 12:26:29
Lists: pgsql-general

The best patent ever filed:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn965-wheel-patented-in-australia.html

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of A. Kretschmer
Sent: May 27, 2008 7:44 AM
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

am Tue, dem 27.05.2008, um 21:12:53 +1000 mailte Justin Clift folgendes:
> Hi all,
>
> Haven't delved into PG's rules system for a long time, but to me, this
> newly granted Microsoft patent sounds pretty close:
>
> US Patent 7376668 - Dynamic filtering in a database system
> Issued on May 20, 2008
> http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7376668/claims.html
>
> Abstract
> "A dynamic filtering module receives a request to perform an operation
> on data in the database and a input. The dynamic filtering module
> provides as an output a modified request to a data access system. The
> modified request can include one or more restrictions added to the
> original request pertaining to which data will be accessed as a function
> of the input."
>
> Am I wrong in thinking that PG provides prior art here?

Hehe, yes. Typical M$. Similar to 7,376,970: (May 20, 2008)

Abstract
"A system, method, and computer readable medium for the proactive
detection of malware in operating systems that receive application
programming interface (API) calls is provided. A virtual operating
environment for simulating the execution of programs and determining if
the programs are malware is created. The virtual operating environment
confines potential malware so that the systems of the host operating
environment will not be adversely effected. During simulation, a
behavior signature is generated based on the API calls issued by
potential malware. The behavior signature is suitable for analysis to
determine whether the simulated executable is malware."

Sounds like a 'sandbox', see http://www.aladdin.com/eSafe/, available
since 1999 or so. (for instance)

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
Kontakt: Heynitz: 035242/47150, D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)