Re: Compilation problems

From: "Diego" <diegoman(at)usuarios(dot)retecal(dot)es>
To: "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compilation problems
Date: 2004-03-28 10:05:04
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi, Adam. Sorry for the delay.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam H. Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
To: "Diego" <diegoman(at)usuarios(dot)retecal(dot)es>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 9:20 PM
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Compilation problems

> Diego wrote:
>
> >The main problem: with Postgresql 7.4 and wxWindows 2.5 (plus stc and
xrc)
> >correctly compiled and installed (the version available on the pgadmin
> >mirrors, compiled following the web instructions), when I try to build
> >pgadmin the configure script apparently runs fine but later on the build
the
> >wxWindows libraries aren't invoked, so the link fails, sending hundreds
of
> >"undefined reference" errors.
> >

> The wx libraries are added to the linker flags by using the output from
> wx-config. The configure script seems to have found your wx-config
> binary, but for some reason the output isn't working. What does
> `wx-config --static --libs` produce on your system? What about
> `wx-config --libs`?

The output of both commands is identical (tested with diff):

-L/usr/local/lib -pthread /usr/local/lib/libwx_gtk2ud_html-2.5.a
/usr/local/lib/libwx_gtk2ud_adv-2.5.a /usr/local/lib/libwx_gtk2ud_core-2.5.a
/usr/local/lib/libwx_baseud_xml-2.5.a /usr/local/lib/libwx_baseud_net-2.5.a
/usr/local/lib/libwx_baseud-2.5.a -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgd
k_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangox-1.0 -lpangoxft-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmo
dule-2.0 -ldl -lgthread-2.0 -lpthread -lglib-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpango-1.0
-lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -lpng -ljpeg -ltiff -lz -ldl -lm
-lwxexpatd

> Try dropping the --enable-static flag to configure
> and see what happens.

If you were referring to the configure script of pgadmin (and not
wxWindows), I get the same "undefined reference" errors. I configured it
only with --enable-debug option.

> >Another problem: after using Raphaël's patch, I got an "undefined
reference"
> >to PQgetssl. I solved it recompiling Postgresql with SSL support, but
> >according to Raphaël the configure script should have checked the
presence
> >of SSL inside libpq and should have not included SSL support in pgadmin.
> >

> Don't apply Raphael's patch. Follow the directions on the pgadmin.org
> web site to checkout the sources and run the boostrap script to generate
> the configure script.
>
> >And there is one more issue: if you use --enable-static option, the
> >resulting binary is still linked dynamically to libssl, libcrypt and
> >libcrypto libraries. Maybe this is a bit confusing, because I expected a
> >purely static binary.
> >

> For now, try not using --enable-static.
>
> ahp

Regards,