Fw: Postgres installation - failure

From: "Phil Robinson" <phil(dot)robinson(at)tesco(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Fw: Postgres installation - failure
Date: 1999-09-06 22:43:37
Lists: pgsql-ports

Hi,
As per your request in the installation instructions.
I have a 166MHz Pentium based Pc running Caldera OpenLinux Lite Ver 1.2.
I have tried installing Postgres v6.5.1 a number of different ways and each time I get the same results. The installation seems to go fine until I run the "initdb" command which always fails with the messages shown below:

We are initializing the database system with username postgres (uid=17).
This user will own all the files and must also own the server process.
Creating template database in /data/base/template1
ERROR: cannot read block 0 of pg_variable
ERROR: cannot read block 0 of pg_variable

FATAL: s_lock(4014006c) at bufmgr.c:1106, stuck spinlock. Aborting.
FATAL: s_lock(4014006c) at bufmgr.c:1106, stuck spinlock. Aborting.

initdb: could not create template database
initdb: cleaning up by wiping out /data/base/template1

I have turned on diagnostics in the initdb shell script and the ERROR: and FATAL: messages are issued when running the "postgres" command (something like the one below) within the shell script.
postgres -boot -C -F -D/data -Q

thanks

Phil