Re: Access 2000 bitching... "The field is too small to

From: "Peter Bense" <ptbense(at)gwm(dot)sc(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Access 2000 bitching... "The field is too small to
Date: 2005-05-16 22:06:45
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I'm not at work right now so don't have the exact details available,
BUT...

1. I am not using check boxes.
2. When I insert data into the table via PSQL it displays fine in the
view itself. The error occurs when I try to insert. The user does have
all the necessary privileges, etc. I have verified that part about 10
times.
3. I have not changed any of the odbc settings (as you mention) from
their default values.

./peter

Peter T. Bense - Teradata Certified Professional
(ptbense(at)gwm(dot)sc(dot)edu) - 803-777-9476
Database Administrator/Webmaster
Prevention Research Center
University of South Carolina

--- Peter Bense <Ptbense(at)gwm(dot)sc(dot)edu> wrote:
> I am getting a
>
> "The field is too small to accept the amount of data
> you attempted to
> add" postgresql error when attempting to enter data
> into the following
> linked table in MS-Access. Nothing seems to be out
> of range. Any
> ideas?:

I assume you are using check boxes? This has been a
frequently encountered problem for Access users.

I adopted a specific workaround a while ago, then
forgot about the problem. But before I recommend that
workaround, let's make sure that time has not revealed
a better way. What are your driver settings for
"bools as char" and "true is -1"?

> CREATE TABLE tblpis_survey_receipt (
> insertion SERIAL,
> ppt_id INT4 NOT NULL,
> date_received DATE NOT NULL,
> staff_id INT4 NOT NULL,
> survey_type INT2 NOT NULL,
> is_blank BOOL NOT NULL,
> birth_month INT2,
> birth_year INT2,
> check_ppt BOOL NOT NULL,
> check_dob BOOL NOT NULL,
> check_tracking BOOL NOT NULL,
> date_inserted TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME ZONE NOT
> NULL,
> date_modified TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME ZONE NOT
> NULL,
> PRIMARY KEY (insertion)
> );
>

> Peter T. Bense - Teradata Certified Professional
> (ptbense(at)gwm(dot)sc(dot)edu) - 803-777-9476
> Database Administrator/Webmaster
> Prevention Research Center
> University of South Carolina
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the
> unregister command
> (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to
> majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org)

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if
your
joining column's datatypes do not match