Re: Getting the last inserted id

From: "Fred Parkinson" <FredP(at)abag(dot)ca(dot)gov>
To: <mfahey(at)enter(dot)net>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Getting the last inserted id
Date: 2004-11-12 17:59:53
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Mike

Personally, if you are trying to do what I think you are trying to do,
I accomplish it with a 'trick' (aka kludge).

When users open my Access 2000 app I add a record to an Access table
called 'sessions' and keep track of the session_id which is created.
The postgres records I need id's from have the session id stored in them
at creation with the rest of the data, as well as a timestamp.

so I do the following to get the key value of the record I just
created:

MyNow = Now()

rsData.AddNew
rsData!creation_date = MyNow
rsData!session_id = MySession
rsData.Update

then I run a query which asks for the key value of the record with
session_id = MySession and creation_date = MyNow.

Works every time
Lots of luck

Fred

>>> Mike Fahey <mfahey(at)enter(dot)net> 11/12/2004 9:36:23 AM >>>
So I guess the question still remains, how do you get the last inserted

id from a sequence?

I'm using access 2003 & postgres odbc 8.0.02

select @@IDENTITY seems to be MS Specific and not work with postgres.

calling currval has to be a pass-through query which makes it high
complicated if at all
possible.

How does everyone else do this ?

How does any database maintain referential integrity if this doesn't
work?

(send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to
majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org)