Re: poor performance in migrated database

From: Troels Arvin <troels(at)arvin(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: poor performance in migrated database
Date: 2004-11-06 20:07:06
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 11:52:15 -0800, Carlos Lopez wrote:

> I have migrated a database from MS SQL to a
> postgresSQL database, but when running it, the results
> are very slow (and unusable) which is the only reason
> we don't entirely move to postgresSQL.

Have you run ANALYZE lately? (See manual.)

Do you know how to use EXPLAIN? (See manual.) If so: Please post an
example query which is slow, and the corresponding output from EXPLAIN.

Have you tried turning your random_page_cost a bit down? (My experience
its value should generally be lessened.)

Have you read
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html ?

> The biggest table has about 300k records (isn't it too
> little for having performance problems?)

That should be no problem.

--
Greetings from Troels Arvin, Copenhagen, Denmark