Re: Postgresql on Solaris versus Linux

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql on Solaris versus Linux
Date: 2005-02-26 02:54:58
Lists: pgsql-admin
Solaris is highly attuned to running threaded applications, and
PostgreSQL is not that sort of application.  So you're definitely not
playing to Solaris' strengths.

Solaris is one of the platforms that has been noted for suffering from
context switch slowdowns when hit with a lot of concurrent traffic,
similar to Intel multiprocessor Xeons.

I'd not go so far as to call it a _bad_ idea.  But if I was paying the
premium prices for that class of hardware, I think I'd rather have a
PowerPC system...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxfinances.info/info/slony.html