Re: Is there a problem running vacuum in the middle of a transaction?

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: Mike Cianflone <mcianflone(at)littlefeet-inc(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is there a problem running vacuum in the middle of a transaction?
Date: 2001-09-06 03:28:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Mike Cianflone <mcianflone(at)littlefeet-inc(dot)com> writes:

> 	Is there a problem with running vacuum, or vacuum analyze in the
> middle of making transactions? If there happens to be a transaction running
> at the time I do a vacuum analyze, the transaction has problems and the
> trigger doesn't get completed all the way, and the transaction fails.

Hmmm--AFAIK, VACUUM is supposed to grab locks on the tables it
processes, which will block until all open transactions against that
table are finished.  So either VACUUM or your transactions will have
to wait, but they shouldn't interfere with each other.

How about posting some log messages from when the problem occurs?

-Doug
--
Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
http://www.freesklyarov.org/

We will return to our regularly scheduled signature shortly.