Re: Concerns about this release

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: "Mitch Vincent" <mitch(at)doot(dot)org>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Concerns about this release
Date: 2001-12-19 23:44:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Mitch Vincent" <mitch(at)doot(dot)org> writes:

> I've been trying to follow the VACUUM concern thread but have missed a few
> so I thought I might ask someone to summarize the concern and the real risk
> of table corruption and any other problems that have been reported... I was
> planning on upgrading several production databases to 7.2 the day it was
> released (I've been developing with the betas with little problem) but won't
> do so if there are some real concerns about corruption and such...
>
> So if anyone doesn't mind to take a minute, could I get opinions? Is it too
> paranoid to not use the 7.2 release in production?

Interestingly enough, the one definite table-corrupting bug that has
been found was actually in old code (what is now VACUUM FULL). It was
hard to trigger which explains why it didn't turn up earlier, but it
was hiding in 7.1.x the whole time.

I will probably put 7.2rc1 on my dev server when it comes out.
I am running a mix of 7.1.x versions in production so I will probably
migrate them all to 7.1.3 first (because pg_dump in earlier 7.1.x
makes unrestorable dumps in some situations) then look to go to 7.2
after it's been out a bit.

Your call, but I'd certainly run 7.2 on a test box for a little while
before rolling it out anywhere important.

Just my take...

-Doug
--T. J. Jackson, 1863