Re: [SQL] PL/pgSQL examples NOT involving functions

From: Roland Roberts <roland(at)astrofoto(dot)org>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] PL/pgSQL examples NOT involving functions
Date: 2001-11-19 03:57:05
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-sql

Aasmund> Well, to the best of my knowledge your question is a
Aasmund> contradiction in terms: plpgsql is a procedural language
Aasmund> to use it you must create a stored procedure or
Aasmund> function...

Coming from an Oracle background, perhaps I don't see it the same
way. To merely *call* a PL/SQL procedure, I have to do something like

BEGIN
MYPROC (a, b, c)
END;

So I *could* create a pl/pgsql function and call it like that, but
since pl/pgsql procedures aren't compiled I wondered if I could do it
inline.

Aasmund> However you are probably able to do many of the things
Aasmund> you may want with plain old SQL look it up in the docs
Aasmund> especially the case structure.

Thanks for this suggestion; I'll have a look at the case structure....

roland
--
PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
Roland B. Roberts, PhD RL Enterprises