Re: walreceiver fallback_application_name

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: walreceiver fallback_application_name
Date: 2011-01-16 20:53:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Is "walreceiver" something that "the average DBA" is going to realize
> what it is? Perhaps go for something like "replication slave"?

I think walreceiver is very good here, and the user is already
confronted to such phrasing.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/runtime-config-wal.html#GUC-MAX-WAL-SENDERS

Also, we're about to extend the technique usage in some other places
such as integrated base backup facility and default archiving solution,
so let's talk about what it's doing, not what for.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine