Re: Row Size

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: Steve Wolfe <steve(at)iboats(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Row Size
Date: 2000-04-27 23:05:56
Lists: pgsql-general
> > I need a tuple with 50k in size. I already know how to
> > change the size and make it bigger. But I'm not sure
> > about the maximum size it supports. Does anyone ever
> > used a row size greater than 32k?
>
> >From the TOAST page (http://www.postgresql.org/projects/devel-toast.html),
>
> "The PostgreSQL database system has a very old, deeply hardwired
> limitation. It is the fact, that each row of every table must fit into the
> on-disk blocksize, which is 8K by default. Unfortunately, changing the
> blocksize has a number of unwanted side effects, and currently blocksizes
> are limited to a maximum of 32K. So this cannot be the solution. "
>

> You'll have to use long objects, or the TOAST stuff.

    And you'll find a first TOAST snapshot at

        http://www.postgresql.org/~wieck

    It's  not ready for production, and it only toasts a yet user
    defined CLOB data type (that's coming with the snapshot). But
    it does a fair job on it so far.

    Tell  me  a  little  more about your needs and especially the
    time constraints of your project. I  would  like  to  have  a
    small  number  of users with a need for that stuff right now.
    It shouldn't be mission critical data. But it's the best time
    to tackle basic conceptual mistakes.

    In  return  you  probably  get  a  patch  to apply on the 7.0
    release and already have anything  you'd  have  to  wait  for
    until 7.1 otherwise.

Jan