Re: ANSI and Unicode driver

From: Marc Herbert <Marc(dot)Herbert(at)continuent(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ANSI and Unicode driver
Date: 2006-02-21 09:43:06
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:

> Reinstating the ANSI only driver fixed things instantly for all those that
> were complaining BTW, though I did note an email from Hiroshi Inoue earlier
> today implying that it's actually the 'wise' DM that handles the conversion
> (although the complainants were all on Windows iirc). FWIW, the
> 07_03_ENHANCED branch does only build the Unicode driver, though I'm not yet
> sure if it will suffer the same problems that 08.00 did.

By the way being a "wise" DM that handle conversions is tricky. Think
for instance about ODBC entry points that may return many different
data types, including strings. See for instance this bug in unixODBC:
 <http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.unixodbc.devel/1760>

Related "DOC: Explanation of Length Arguments for Unicode ODBC Functions"
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q294169>