Re: Maven based build and refactoring

From: Lew <noone(at)lewscanon(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Maven based build and refactoring
Date: 2012-03-28 04:54:25
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Sebastian Hennebrueder wrote:
> Maven repositories as a common way to store open source artifacts

as are Ant-based projects

> and is easier to manage using Maven.

Depends.

I've seen Maven projects that were a complete cock-up to manage.

Ant or Maven, the biggest issues I've encountered involved obfuscation of
dependency chains.

> Maven build projects can be easily imported into any IDE (Eclipse, Netbeans, IntelliJ)

As can Ant-based projects.

> If I want to work on the project, I can be up an running in seconds by checking out and importing a Maven project into my IDE

Ditto Ant-based.

> without the need to understand the details of a Ant build

I am always deeply dubious of any argument that touts "without the need to
understand" as a virtue. This dubiety has yet to disappoint.

>and excluding paths to be considered as source code.

Sorry, but that is necessary to Maven-based projects, too.

--
Lew
Honi soit qui mal y pense.