Re: Describe command alternatives in postgresql

From: Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Describe command alternatives in postgresql
Date: 2010-11-07 11:14:16
Lists: pgsql-novice
On 2010-11-06, Vaduvoiu Tiberiu <vaduvoiutibi(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> --0-464382686-1289036230=:84858
>
> Hello,
>
> this is my first post on this list. I'm trying to migrate my application's database from MySql to Postgresql. One of the main problem I'm facing, is trying to find an alternative for the "Describe" command. In MySql you can call "Describe XX" where xx can be the name of the table/view in your database. In Postgresql I can call "select * from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS where table_name = XX". This works, except I also have a lot of views in my database, for which Describe worked ok in mysql. But in Postgresql it seems I can't find a command that would work both on views and tables. Does anyone know an equivalent function or a workaround for this?

\d relation_name

on the psql command line is shorthand for some long query to get info
about the table

\d+ relation_name

gives more information

\? gives info about other similar commands.

\h gives sql help, but you know that from reading the banner it prints when you start it right?

--
ɹǝpun uʍop ɯoɹɟ sƃuıʇǝǝɹ⅁