Re: autoscale cluster

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jesus arteche <chechu(dot)linux(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autoscale cluster
Date: 2010-04-14 20:14:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Jesus arteche <chechu(dot)linux(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> hi everyone,
>
> I'm looking for info about autoscale a cluster. I mean...with amazon you can
> generate automatically virtual machine as far as you need...if you configure
> that when the machine get 90% busy a new one will be created. The thing is
> that i'd like to do something like that for my database...whem my datbase
> get 90% busy...automatically another machine is created to share the charge.

Auto-creating a new app server is a whole different idea than
autogenerating another database server.

An app server is a relatively independent processing unit. Requests
go in, get processed, and results are spit back out. Each request is
independent of the other requests.

A database is a storage engine that ensures that each unit of
information put into it fits within all the proper constraints of all
the other data already in place, and that updates and changes happen
in whole or none at all.

How do you just "throw another db" at a problem? You cluster it.
That's a complex problem to solve in comparison to app servers.

> I dont know if it is possible..can anyone give some piece of advice???

You can most certainly using clustering to increase db performance for
many work loads. Whether a certain method works for you or not
depends on what you're doing. Making it automagically create new
virtual cluster members sounds like a really cool feature that would
make you pull your hair out developing it.