Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Pg booth staffing at OSCON

From: "Daniel Johnson" <teknotus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, gabrielle <gorthx(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Pg booth staffing at OSCON
Date: 2008-07-15 14:42:07
Lists: pdxpugpgsql-advocacypgsql-general
> Well, you can obviously get into OSCAMP and FOSSCoach and the BOFs and the
> other free events.  Not that I'd be promoting such a thing (as an OSCON
> committee member), but if there's *a* specific session you want to attend,
> you can probably persuade one of the several PostgreSQL speakers to loan you
> their badge.

No offense, but in the years that I have been going to OSCON I've
never had anywhere near enough money to buy a real pass to OSCON.
Every year it has been volunteering for a booth, or attending OSCAMP.
Last year I was able to afford Ubuntu Live through one of the more
extreme discount codes, but that is it.  There are lots of people who
participate as much as they can by way of volunteering, and I am one
of them.  We help make the conference happen so please treat us with
respect even if we can't afford to pay are way in.

As a committee members you are technically a volunteer with a free
pass yourself!

I would have really loved to attend as a regular conference goer, but
that just isn't financially possible for me.  I almost got one this
year because a friend on the committee can't come this year, but
apparently committee passes aren't transferable.