Re: review: pgbench - aggregation of info written into log

From: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: review: pgbench - aggregation of info written into log
Date: 2013-01-17 11:11:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dne 17.01.2013 11:16, Magnus Hagander napsal:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Magnus Hagander
>> <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>>> We have committed platform-specific features before, but generally
>>> only when it's not *possible* to do them for all platforms. For
>>> example the posix_fadvise stuff isn't available on Windows at all,
>>> so
>>> there isn't much we can do there.
>>
>> Right - having platform specific features for other reasons like
>> lack
>> of time is a slippery slope in my opinion. We should not get into
>> such
>> a habit or Windows will quickly become a second class platform as
>> far
>> as PostgreSQL features are concerned.
>
> Especially since there is no lack of time - the functionality is
> there, it just looks (significantly) different.

Really? Any link to relevant docs or something?

When doing some research in this field, the only option I was able to
come up
with was combining gettimeofday() with the timing functionality, and do
something
like this:

1) call gettimeofday() at thread start, giving a common unix
timestamp
2) measure the time from the thread start using the conters (for each
transaction)
3) combine those values

This might of course give up to a second difference compared to the
actual time
(because of the gettimeofday precision), but IMHO that's fine.

An even simpler option would omit the (1), so the timestamps would
start at 0.

Or is there a better way?

Tomas