Re: Patch to add a socketTimeout property.

From: "Toru SHIMOGAKI" <shimogaki(dot)toru(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Kris Jurka" <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: "Art Gramlich" <art(dot)gramlich(at)healthtrio(dot)com>, "Toru SHIMOGAKI" <shimogaki(dot)toru(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to add a socketTimeout property.
Date: 2008-04-12 00:27:07
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
2008/4/11, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>:

>   I don't see a danger with exposing them as options as long as the pros and
> cons are clearly explained.

How about the following list to compare keepalive and socket timeout?
Please add other topics, if any.

                 keepalive                 socket timeout
Configurability  No in Java                Yes
                 (depend on OS setting)

Target           All connections           Each connection

Standard timer   2 hours                   Depend on users

Influence        All of applications       Long running query
                 on a same OS              using a same connection

Overhead         Network for               CPU for timer
                 keepalive proves

On the other hand, should we  provide the both properties and users
chose either of them depend on their requirement?

Toru SHIMOGAKI <shimogaki(dot)toru(at)gmail(dot)com>