Re: Function scan push-down using SQL/MED syntax

From: Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-cluster-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function scan push-down using SQL/MED syntax
Date: 2010-03-05 15:51:16
Lists: pgsql-cluster-hackers
2010/3/4 Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>:
> I'm working on SQL/MED foreign table for "Function scan push-down" item:
>

> Comments and suggestions are very welcome for the design and implementation.
> There are also some known issues in the Open questions section.

I've not read any part of code yet but have comments:

* I'm not very happy with "Getting tuples from the foreign server"
section. Present tuplestore isn't quite efficient and putting all
tuples into TSS adds devastating overhead. In principle, storing
tuples doesn't match SQL exectuor model. So something like cursor is
needed here.

* In FDW routines section there seems only methods to read out data,
but I'd suggest there should be coverage of all CRUD operation.
Sometimes dropping foreign data is so specific that only FdwRoutines
know the way.

Regards,

--
Hitoshi Harada