Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions
Date: 2010-03-25 20:24:04
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:04 PM, James Mansion
<james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com> wrote:
> Hannu Krosing wrote:
>>
>> Pulling the plug should not corrupt a postgreSQL database, unless it was
>> using disks which lie about write caching.
>>

> Didn't we recently put the old wife's 'the disks lied' tale to bed in favour
> of actually admiting that some well known filesystems and saftware raid
> systems have had trouble with their write barriers?

I believe so.  It was determined to be a combination of several
culprits, and only a few hard drives from back in the day apparently
ever had this problem.

Of course now it seems that modern SSDs may lie about cache if they
don't have a big enough capacitor to guarantee they can write out
their internal cache etc.

The sad fact remains that many desktop / workstation systems lie, and
quite a few servers as well, for whatever reason.