Re: Postgres database as a client/server architecture

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rich <rhdyes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Mohammed Rashid" <mail4rashid(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres database as a client/server architecture
Date: 2008-10-06 15:08:32
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Rich <rhdyes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 12:23 AM, Mohammed Rashid <mail4rashid(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have use the Postgres database as a client/server architecture.
>>> I mean I want to run the clients on different PCs and want that all
>>> the transactions should get automatically updated in the server.
>>> It should also take care of network disconnections and update the
>>> server after network connections automatically.
>>
>> PostgreSQL already is a client server architecture.  However, it
>> sounds like what you're actually looking for is some kind of client AS
>> server method where the clients can operate independently then update
>> the database at some later date.
>>
>> PostgreSQL has no facilities to do this on its own.
>
> Actually it does have those facilities to do such an architecture.
> Its callled psql.  Postgresql's verison of sql. just write sql
> statements to update, delete or add records accordingly. You can do
> this using a web interface, another client db like access or paradox.
> There are tons of ways to do it.  you can use an odbc interface.  So
> postgress does come with everything you need.

Not if what the OP wants is the lotus notes type functionality where
things are updated on the client, and at some later date updated on
the main server and all data inconsistencies are automagically taken
care of.

OTOH, if all the OP wanted was to just have plain old client - server
architecture, yeah, that's built right in to psql / libpq...