Re: Having a plpgsql function return multiple rows that indicate its progress in a cursor like fashion

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Having a plpgsql function return multiple rows that indicate its progress in a cursor like fashion
Date: 2010-02-16 20:40:52
Lists: pgsql-general
> We've had several requests for progress reporting thingies of all kinds.
> The amount of effort is not insignificant, which is probably why nothing
> has gotten done yet ...

What do you mean by "reporting thingies of all kinds"? It isn't as if
I'm asking for some esoteric feature, some regional variation of
reporting on batch operations. I'd like to be able to report things
back to client apps. That would perhaps take the form of returning a
message string, and an integer at each RETURN NEXT (or whatever
mechanism is decided upon). It would probably still be very useful to
a lot of people if the feature was completely inflexible, not allowing
you to vary the RETURN NEXT datatype, for example.

Can't someone think of a way of doing this as a neat adjunct to Postgres?

Thanks,
Peter Geoghegan