Re: Regression: 8.3 2 seconds -> 8.4 100+ seconds

From: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pgsql performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Regression: 8.3 2 seconds -> 8.4 100+ seconds
Date: 2010-10-27 17:02:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

Tom Lane writes:

> Please provide a self-contained test case for this. In testing here,
> 8.4 can still figure out that it ought to use an indexscan against the
> large table ... so there is some aspect of your tables that you're not
> showing us.

It is possible, and very likely, that it is an issue with the distribution
of values.

The data is 40GB+ and the largest table is 200M+ rows..
Setting a standalone setup may be difficult, but what we could do is
something like webex where you, or someone else we would trust, would
connect to a web conference and tell us what to type.