Re: Partitioning feature ...

From: Kedar Potdar <kedar(dot)potdar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nikhil Sontakke <nikhil(dot)sontakke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Amit Gupta <amit(dot)pc(dot)gupta(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Partitioning feature ...
Date: 2009-03-24 12:16:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi Nikhil,

Update operation is performed as a combination of 'delete' and 'insert'.

In Update trigger, the row is deleted from relation according to it's
'ctid'. A look-up on system catalog for partitions is performed to identify
the target table by evaluating values of partition-key attributes, of the
given row. The constraints of this target table are evaluated for this new
row and if found valid, the row is inserted.