Re: UPDATE 2: Windows XP, Cygwin 1.3.22-1, PostgreSQL 7.3.2,

From: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UPDATE 2: Windows XP, Cygwin 1.3.22-1, PostgreSQL 7.3.2,
Date: 2003-05-13 17:41:52
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Jason Tishler wrote:
> Frank,
>
> On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 01:22:03PM -0400, Frank Seesink wrote:
>
>>Jason Tishler wrote:
>>This seems to imply that this is automagically done by cygrunsrv.  But
>>how do you make sure the Cygwin bin directories are searched FIRST?
>>The above section of help just says ".../bin is always added to
>>$PATH...", but doesn't state if at the end (which I would assume is
>>the case) or the beginning.  And how could one tell?
>

> Use the following procedure:
>
>     1. Install bash as a service via cygrunsrv.
>     2. Allow it to interact with the desktop.
>     3. Start the service.
>     4. Execute "echo $PATH" when it pops up.
> I guess that the above procedure may have to be used after all or the
> source code consulted to resolve this issue....

	I have a feeling another means will be required.  Though I'm relatively
sure that the Cygwin /bin directory is being prepended (and the 2nd
portion of help was just poorly worded), I thought I'd try the above
steps.  Unfortunately, no go.

	First, the "Allow service to interact with destkop" setting is only
available when the service is started under the Local System account.
However, the whole point of this test is to see what happens when
postmaster is run as user 'postgres'.  Just the same, either way
(running as user 'postgres' or as Local System account) BASH fails to
start.  The Event Logs are not very useful in telling you why, though.

	So short of another means (possibly some kind of script--avoiding
desktop interaction--which saves the environment table to a file), not
sure how to tell other than looking at source.

	I'll tinker and see if I can't get some positive feedback.