Re: Rename max_parallel_degree?

From: Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rename max_parallel_degree?
Date: 2016-10-04 14:16:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/10/2016 21:27, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Julien Rouhaud
> <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote:
>> I've already fixed every other issues mentioned upthread, but I'm facing
>> a problem for this one. Assuming that the bgworker classes are supposed
>> to be mutually exclusive, I don't see a simple and clean way to add such
>> a check in SanityCheckBackgroundWorker(). Am I missing something
>> obvious, or can someone give me some advice for this?
>
> My advice is "don't worry about it". If somebody thinks of something
> that can be usefully added there, it will take very little time to add
> it and test that it works. Don't get hung up on that for now.

Ok, thanks!

Please find attached v9 of the patch, adding the parallel worker class
and changing max_worker_processes default to 16 and max_parallel_workers
to 8. I also added Amit's explanation for the need of a write barrier
in ForgetBackgroundWorker().

I'll add this patch to the next commitfest.

--
Julien Rouhaud
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org

Attachment Content-Type Size
global_max_parallel_workers-v9.diff text/x-diff 14.1 KB