Re: sequences and pg_upgrade

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sequences and pg_upgrade
Date: 2016-10-31 12:53:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/30/16 12:50 PM, Anastasia Lubennikova wrote:
> The patches are good, no complaints.
> But again, I have the same question.
> I was confused, why do we always dump sequence data,
> because I'd overlooked the --sequence-data key. I'd rather leave this
> option,
> because it's quite non intuitive behaviour...
> /* dump sequence data even in schema-only mode */

Here are rebased patches.

Regarding your question: The initial patch had a separate option for
this behavior, which was then used by pg_upgrade. It was commented that
this option is not useful outside of pg_upgrade, so it doesn't need to
be exposed as a user-facing option. I agreed with that and removed the
option. We can always add the option back easily if someone really
wants it, but so far no use case has been presented. So I suggest we
proceed with this proposal ignoring whether this option is exposed or not.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-pg_dump-Separate-table-and-sequence-data-object-t.patch text/x-patch 4.7 KB
v3-0002-pg_upgrade-Upgrade-sequence-data-via-pg_dump.patch text/x-patch 5.7 KB