Re: what Linux to run

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: what Linux to run
Date: 2012-02-28 20:46:38
Lists: pgsql-general
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012, hamann(dot)w(at)t-online(dot)de wrote:

> one thing you might want to consider is system lifetime: some distro may
> be set up so that you more or less have to reinstall within 2 years, if
> you plan to use update service - others may be longer. Now, fast
> development is great AND allows you to change to better hardware easily.
> It does however mean that you might get surprised with a different
> postgres version at times you dont really like it. If you plan to install
> from source, this would not be of any concern

   Most updates fix security vulnerabilities. If you keep current with those
there's not a compelling need to upgrade the distribution itself unless you
want to do so. There's a distinction between the distribution itself
(kernel, and GNU tools) and the end-user applications bundled with the
distribution. Also, the distributions with which I'm familiar allow you to
select the applications to upgrade so you can avoid surprises.