Adding Missing Data to a Table

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Adding Missing Data to a Table
Date: 2011-03-29 18:31:12
Lists: pdxpug
   I'm now moving into areas of postgres I've not before visited so now and
then I'll ask for directions.

   I have a table with 49365 rows. The first column, which I would like to
use as an index, is called 'record' and of type VARCHAR(10). There are 39159
rows in which record IS NULL. I would like to add values to 'record'
starting with 30000. There's no significance to the value of this column
other than as a unique row identifier, and the highest current value is
28569. What is the most efficient way to automate this?

Rich

pdxpug by date

Next:From: wesDate: 2011-03-29 19:50:09