Re: Memory context usage

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Adriano Lange <alange0001(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Memory context usage
Date: 2009-08-28 08:18:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

> MemoryContextStats() might help.  It just dumps the info to stderr
> though.

Which means it ends up in the database log files in the common
configuration where where the database's stderr is redirected to there.
I even script running this regularly against stuff I'm suspicious of,
using something like this passed the PID of the process I want to watch:

#!/bin/bash
gdb -p $1 <<EOF
p MemoryContextStats(TopMemoryContext)
detach