Re: hyperthreaded cpu still an issue in 8.4?

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Youatt <dave(at)meteorsolutions(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hyperthreaded cpu still an issue in 8.4?
Date: 2009-07-29 06:35:22
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

> oh - the 90k tps are with the new multithreaded pgbench? missed that fact. As
> you can see from my results I managed to get 83k with the 8.4 pgbench on a
> slightly slower Nehalem which does not sound too impressive for the new
> code...

I got 96K with the default postgresql.conf - 32MB shared_buffers etc. -
and I didn't even try to find the sweet spot yet for things like number of
threads, that's just the first useful number that popped out.  I saw as
much as 87K with the regular one too.  I already planned to run the test
set you did for comparison sake at some point.