Re: Performance and IN clauses

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance and IN clauses
Date: 2008-11-18 16:12:24
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Kynn Jones wrote:
> Also, assuming that the optimal way to write the query depends on the length of $node_list, how can I estimate the
> "critical length" at which I should switch from one form of the query to the other?

In the past, I have found the fastest way to do this was to operate on
groups of a bit less than a thousand values, and issue one query per
group. Of course, Postgres may have improved since then, so I'll let more
knowledgable people cover that for me.

 Heat is work, and work's a curse. All the heat in the universe, it's
 going to cool down, because it can't increase, then there'll be no
 more work, and there'll be perfect peace.      -- Michael Flanders