Re: Moving to git

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
Cc: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Mike Fowler <mike(at)mlfowler(dot)com>, Guillaume Cottenceau <gc(at)mnc(dot)ch>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving to git
Date: 2011-10-04 07:03:09
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, Craig Ringer wrote:

> To what extent is *perfect* history reproduction required for PgJDBC?

Perfect history is not a requirement.  Largely because of the massive
rewrite in the 8.0 timeframe there's not much utility in looking back much
further.  Still, imperfect history better have a good explanation for its
existence.  The server project had several suspect commits that they
reconciled with their saved source trees rather than discarding.  I don't
think the JDBC driver has nearly as many suspect commits, but I don't see
why it would be hard to accurately import our history.

My only caveat is for those who think git-cvsimport is adequate:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2008-12/msg00124.php

Kris Jurka