Re: PG 9.0 release timetable

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 9.0 release timetable
Date: 2010-05-31 15:34:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 31 May 2010, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 May 2010, Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>> I find myself entirely unimpressed by proposals to make releases
>>> according to some rigid schedule that takes no account of whether
>>> packaging manpower is actually available.
>>
>> How many beta testers out there *rely* on a package to do their testing?
>> I'm not saying don't try and get packages in place, I'm just saying it
>> shouldn't be a requirement to stamp code BETA and create a tar ball ...
>
> Well, they can just grab nightly snapshots and test, right?  I don't
> think a beta is fundamentally different from a nightly snapshot,
> source-code wise.

doesn't really give a good reference point for testing purposes ... if
everyone downloads BETA2 and tests, they are all testing the exact same
code ...

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy(at)hub(dot)org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy(at)hub(dot)org