Problems with ODBC and Access

From: Michelle Murrain <tech(at)murrain(dot)net>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Steve Backman <sbackman(at)dbdes(dot)com>
Subject: Problems with ODBC and Access
Date: 2005-02-15 18:13:39
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi All,

We have a MS Access 2000 database connecting to psgl 7.4.5 database
over the Internet using ODBC 7.03.02.00 drivers. The connection works
sometimes and then fails sporadically and unpredictably. When it fails,
it could be just opening a table or it could be in a bound form. When
it fails, we sometimes get an ODBC connection error. Sometimes, the
table opens up with each cell filled with #delete#. I'm looking for
some general troubleshooting guidelines.

What makes this frustrating is that we have other experience using
essentially the same techniques that have much greater stability. We
are reasonably proficient with both pg and Access in general, and have
naive to moderate experience, but until now good luck with the odbc
drivers.

I could say more about what we have checked or have suspected.
Bandwidth? Table relations? Presence of text/memo fields? nature of ID
fields? For initial post, I think I will just see what pops up. Very
frustrating.

Thanks for any tips, experience, suggestions.

Michelle

Michelle Murrain
mmurrain at dbdes.com
617-248-0007
952-674-7253 fax
Page: pageme(at)murrain(dot)net
AIM:pearlbear0 ICQ:129250575
Yahoo:michelle_murrain MSN:michelle(at)murrain(dot)net
Jabber: pearlbear(at)transactim(dot)net

In separateness lies the world's great misery; in compassion lies the
world's true strength. -- Buddha