Problem after RH9 Install of 7.4.2

From: bud(dot)curtis(at)direcway(dot)com (Bud Curtis)
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem after RH9 Install of 7.4.2
Date: 2004-04-04 05:23:25
Lists: pgsql-admin
I recently built my RH9 system and updated the binary RPMs to 7.4.2.
I am new to Postgresql, but I think I understand the PDF documentation
provided.  However, I couldn't find any documentation on starting with
the binary RPMs.  Instead, the documentation seems to be bent on
building postgresql on the system.

When I attempt to start the server, ie.:

   -bash-2.05b$ postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
   FATAL:  "/usr/local/pgsql/data" is not a valid data directory
   DETAIL:  File "/usr/local/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION" is missing.
   -bash-2.05b$

I think I must be missing some environment variables and perhaps
configuration files.  For example, I manually created the
/usr/local/pgsql/data after reading the Administrator install
instructions.  It wasn't there just after installing the RPMs.

Also, it appears the RH9 RPMs installed postgresql in different
locations than the Administrator documentation implies.  I would
appreciate any help that you might provide.

Regards,
Bud Curtis

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Jose' CruanyesDate: 2004-04-04 21:51:17