Setting up of PITR system.

From: "Rajesh Kumar Mallah" <mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com
Subject: Setting up of PITR system.
Date: 2006-03-28 13:41:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

We are trying to setup PITR system based on documentation

We have 3 questions regarding

1. Selection of archived WAL records that can be safely removed.
2. Knowing the relevant WAL record just after pg_stop_backup()
3. Recommended tool for taking file system level backup.

we want to remove archived WAL log files which are no longer needed
so that the size of wal_archive folder is under control.

The DOCs say that filenames numerically less than the WAL record that
suggests can be removed. Will an alphabetical sorting be different from
numerically sorted
filename ?    Sorting numerically is not easy as the filenames look like HEX
ut they are are so huge that they cant be stored in normal integers

Q2. We are attempting to automate the process of taking base backup and
     of the unneeded WAL files. Is there any reliable way of knowing the WAL
file X from
     inside the shell script , such that files prior to X can be removed ?

from a shell script we issue pg_stop_backup() by psql -c , it returns
   which does not looks like a WAL file.

Rajesh Kumar Mallah.

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Rajesh Kumar MallahDate: 2006-03-28 13:46:12
Previous:From: Richard Broersma JrDate: 2006-03-28 13:00:52
Subject: Re: PostgreSQl newbie! -PLease help, pgAdmin3 on Debian!