Re: Where is Postgesql ? - MYSQL SURPRISES WITH MAXDB /

From: "Randolf Richardson, DevNet SysOp 29" <rr(at)8x(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where is Postgesql ? - MYSQL SURPRISES WITH MAXDB /
Date: 2003-11-22 18:25:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

[sNip]
> * My favorite - TABLESPACES!!
[sNip]

This is one feature I dearly wished PostgreSQL had because it would
allow for some additional performance tuning options.

One thing I really liked about Oracle's Table Spaces was that I could
specify a full path to it and the entire thing was in one file which could
easily be copied to a different OS and the same version of Oracle would
just use it without any problems.

The other thing I really liked about Table Spaces is that Oracle had a
tool called "OCOPY" which would make a duplicate of it (even while live)
frozen at that moment without interfering with live transactions, thus
backups could be made at any time from the copies of the files. I usually
created a subdirectory called "backups" and used OCopy to put them there.

If a future version of PostgreSQL could use Table Spaces instead of a
group of individual files in the "base" directory (as it does now), then I
believe it would add a whole new dimension to performance tuning (in
addition to other things such as table, index, etc., size management).

--
Randolf Richardson - rr(at)8x(dot)ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

This message originated from within a secure, reliable,
high-performance network ... a Novell NetWare network.