Problem - Can't Start the Postgres Service

From: Mike Frost <m_frost2010(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problem - Can't Start the Postgres Service
Date: 2012-02-27 18:34:27
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hello All,

I hope someone can help me out with this problem.

I'm a First time poster and TechnoDunce, so I hope you'll excuse any faux
pas. I believe if listed everything relevant below, but please let me know
if you need any more details. I'm also in conversation with the support guys
at HoldemManager.

Many Thanks,

A description of what you are trying to achieve and what results you expect:

* HoldemManager was running a process to create a large number of notes,
when it fell over

* On restarting (box and app), HoldemManager reported that it could not
connect to PostgreSQL as the service was not running (it's set to start up
automatically, and has been doing so up until this incident)

* I tried to start the service manually and got the following error: System
error 3 has occurred. The system cannot find the path specified

* I looked at the PostgreSQL service and discovered that the ImagePath
property was missing, so nothing was showing in the Path to Executable text
box (I don't know if this is expected)

* I used RegEdit to add the ImagePath and populated it with the file path,
and now the service tries to start up. However I get a new error: Error
1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a
timely fashion

The EXACT PostgreSQL version you are running:

8.4

How you installed PostgreSQL:

Bundled w/ 3rd party app (HoldemManager); used their installer

Changes made to the settings in the postgresql.conf file:

I've made none; unsure whether the installer made any

Operating system and version:

Windows XP Pro v5.1 Service Pack 3

The EXACT TEXT of the error message you're getting if there is one:

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a
timely fashion

What program you're using to connect to PostgreSQL

HoldemManager

Is there anything remotely unusual in the PostgreSQL server logs?

2012-02-22 08:51:44 GMT LOG:  database system was shut down at 2012-02-22
08:51:30 GMT

2012-02-22 08:51:45 GMT FATAL:  the database system is starting up

2012-02-22 08:51:45 GMT LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections

2012-02-22 08:51:45 GMT LOG:  autovacuum launcher started

2012-02-22 08:52:20 GMT LOG:  received fast shutdown request

2012-02-22 08:52:20 GMT LOG:  aborting any active transactions

2012-02-22 08:52:20 GMT LOG:  autovacuum launcher shutting down

2012-02-22 08:52:20 GMT LOG:  shutting down

2012-02-22 08:52:20 GMT LOG:  database system is shut down

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: mephystoDate: 2012-02-28 07:38:37