Re: Re: MS Access memo datatypes

From: Jamie Walker <jamie(at)sagaxis(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: MS Access memo datatypes
Date: 2001-01-16 21:30:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
In article <3A627EAA(dot)3094D925(at)imyourhandiman(dot)com>, lee johnson
<lee(at)imyourhandiman(dot)com> writes
>i'm trying to decide to most complete platform ( staroffice's adabas DB or
>postgresql ) to insert my energies into what will be the least arduous
>transition .....
FWIW, I started out on Adabas D, purely because the ODBC driver worked
on Win16 and it was recommend to me. It seemed like a really 'solid'
system, but the documentation was appalling. Although, at the time, the
only RDBMS I had used was MsAccess. ;o)

However, I couldn't the GUI tools to properly work with distributions
based on newer versions of glibc (it's version of curses did not like
Unix98 PTYs, so I could not admin it via SSH), and the 'complete backup
system' it provided was keen to monopolise the tape drive. It was
somewhat unpredictable at times and I did get it to dump core a few

But the main reason I ditched it in favour of PostgreSQL is that I can
write my own functions in C and link them into the backend, and I know I
can always install the latest bug-fixes without paying more money. And
it just keeps getting better with each release...
Jamie Walker              "My dear boy, forget about the motivation.
jamie(at)sagaxis(dot)co(dot)uk        Just say the lines and don't trip over the  furniture."  (Noel Coward)