Re: [HACKERS] no answer to Solaris 2.6 failure to build 6.3.2?

From: Maarten Boekhold <maartenb(at)dutepp2(dot)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: De Clarke <de(at)ucolick(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] no answer to Solaris 2.6 failure to build 6.3.2?
Date: 1998-07-03 07:44:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Tom Lane wrote:

> De Clarke <de(at)ucolick(dot)org> writes:
> > I still cannot get postgres 6.3.2 libpq to build under
> > Solaris 2.6 ... this means I can't test any of my apps
> > using postgres on my deployment platform.  can anyone
> > help?
>
> > gcc version 2.7.2.3
>
> > fe-connect.c: In function `PQconnectdb':
> > fe-connect.c:204: warning: implicit declaration of function `strdup'
> > fe-connect.c:204: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
>
> [ snip a whole lot of similar errors, all apparently arising from the
> lack of prototypes for strdup() and other functions... ]
>
> gcc is unhappy because it hasn't seen any declaration for strdup, and
> later fdopen, strcasecmp, etc.  All the other complaints follow from
> that.
>
> Either Solaris 2.6 has incredibly brain-damaged system include files,
> or (more likely) you have a misconfigured gcc that is not reading the
> correct version of <stdio.h>, <string.h>, etc.  One way that that can
> happen is if you try to copy a gcc installation from another system
> rather than configuring and compiling it on exactly the target system.
> (gcc tends to like to make "patched" copies of some of the system
> include files, and if those don't match up with the real ones you are
> in deep trouble.)

Isn't it possible to just run 'fixincludes'? This is what's done when you
install gcc from scratch. Don't actually know where to find fixincludes
though.

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M(dot)Boekhold(at)et(dot)tudelft(dot)nl                         |