Unix Domain Sockets error (was Re: [HACKERS] Alpha initdb fixed!)

From: "Pedro J(dot) Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>
To: Dwayne Bailey <dwayne(at)mika(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Unix Domain Sockets error (was Re: [HACKERS] Alpha initdb fixed!)
Date: 1998-03-17 12:06:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Pedro J. Lobo wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Pedro J. Lobo wrote:
>
>I've just tried it, and it works partially. The initdb works fine, so I've
>tried to run the regression tests. Here is the output:

>boolean ..  ok
>char ..  ok
>char2 ..  ok
>char4 ..  ok
>char8 ..  ok
>char16 ..  ok
>varchar ..  ok
>text ..  ok
>strings ..  ok
>int2 ..  failed
>int4 ..  failed
>oid ..  ok
>oidint2 ..  failed
>oidint4 ..  failed
>oidname ..  failed
>[...]

I've done more tests. The problem is that if you start the postmaster
without the '-p' option and without assigning a value to the PGPORT
environment variable, then all the ipc stuff is messed up. No shared
memory regions are created, and the semaphores are created but never
freed. When a port number is specified, the sempahores (and the shared
memory regions) have a 'key' value that contains the port number. Without
port number, there is no shared memory and the sempahores have 0 as the
key value.

I don't know if this behaviour is due to the use of a non-standard port
(5440), but since it's been specified in configure (--with-pgport=5440) it
should work. shouldn't it?

These are the regression tests when a port number is specified (note that
you *must* assign a value to PGPORT before running the tests):

boolean ..  ok
char ..  ok
char2 ..  ok
char4 ..  ok
char8 ..  ok
char16 ..  ok
varchar ..  ok
text ..  ok
strings ..  ok
int2 ..  failed
int4 ..  failed
oid ..  ok
oidint2 ..  failed
oidint4 ..  failed
oidname ..  ok
float4 ..  ok
float8 ..  failed
numerology ..  ok
point ..  ok
lseg ..  ok
box ..  ok
path ..  ok
polygon ..  ok
circle ..  ok
geometry ..  failed
timespan ..  ok
datetime ..  failed
reltime ..  ok
abstime ..  failed
tinterval ..  failed
horology ..  failed
comments ..  ok
create_function_1 ..  ok
create_type ..  ok
create_table ..  ok
create_function_2 ..  ok
constraints ..  ok
triggers ..  ok
copy ..  ok
create_misc ..  ok
create_aggregate ..  ok
create_operator ..  ok
create_view ..  ok
create_index ..  ok
sanity_check ..  ok
errors ..  ok
select ..  ok
select_into ..  ok
select_distinct ..  ok
select_distinct_on ..  ok
subselect ..  ok
aggregates ..  ok
transactions ..  ok
random ..  failed
portals ..  ok
misc ..  ok
arrays ..  ok
btree_index ..  ok
hash_index ..  ok
select_views ..  ok
alter_table ..  ok
portals_p2 ..  ok

Some of them fail (most notably int2, int4 and float8), but anyway it's
better than before :-)

Pedro José Lobo Perea                   Tel:    +34 1 336 78 19
Centro de Cálculo                       Fax:    +34 1 331 92 29
EUIT Telecomunicación - UPM             e-mail: pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es