Re: [HACKERS] Alpha initdb fixed!

From: "Pedro J(dot) Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>
To: Dwayne Bailey <dwayne(at)mika(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Alpha initdb fixed!
Date: 1998-03-17 08:42:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Dwayne Bailey wrote:

>I've gotten 6.3 initdb to run to a successful completion on my
>Alpha running OSF/1 V3.2c.  Forget the change that I sent in
>earlier.  While I still think that there's something funky with
>that code, it doesn not need to be modifed.  Actually, the
>modifications are miniscule.  The only files that need to be
>changed are backend/main/main.c and template/alpha.
>
>The real trick is to add -Dalpha to the CFLAGS setting.  The
>changes to main.c are only to add some extra includes to support
>some code that's suddenly being used.
>
>The #define ASSEMBLER is to prevent most of the code of
>sys/proc.h from being included, as it ends up conflicting with
>some of the postgresql definitions.  This may or may not work on
>other versions of Digital Unix.

I'll try it immediately, but I have a suggestion. On my DU 3.2c system, cc
defines automatically the symbols "__osf__" and "__alpha", and gcc defines
"__osf__", "__alpha" and "__alpha__". I think it would be easier to change
every "#ifdef alpha" to "#ifdef __alpha", and stop worrying about it in
the Makefiles.

Can any of the linux-alpha folks try out which symbols does the compiler
define? And someone who has DU 4.0x installed?

Pedro José Lobo Perea                   Tel:    +34 1 336 78 19
Centro de Cálculo                       Fax:    +34 1 331 92 29
EUIT Telecomunicación - UPM             e-mail: pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es