Re: WAL file location

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL file location
Date: 2002-08-01 03:13:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> But the location of the WAL logs, and the commit logs, if anyone is
> thinking in that direction, needs to be known to initdb. And if you want
> to move them later you'd need to halt the entire system....

I don't see this as a big problem. Right now you also have to halt the
entire system to move them. And there are other configuration file
options which also cannot be changed after the system has started.

I don't see a big need for being able to move the log files around
when the system is running. If there is such a need, let's make it
a separate feature from being able to specify the location in the
logfile, and implement it separately so we don't slow down the
original feature we're all looking for.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC