Re: WAL file location

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>,PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL file location
Date: 2002-07-30 04:14:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> More generally, I do not like depending on postmaster environment
> variables --- our experience with environment variables for database
> locations has been uniformly bad....
> The existing secondary-location mechanism is horrible.  Please do not
> emulate it...

Right. I get really, really worried about security issues when I see
something like "just specify an environment variable." Who knows what
the heck else is in the environment.

I'd really like to see that removed and replaced with a configuration file
or something similar.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org