Re: Small DB Server Advice

From: Matthew <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: PGSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Small DB Server Advice
Date: 2008-02-13 13:53:37
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
>    4 x 147GB 15000 rpm SCSI in RAID 10 with 320-1 RAID CARD + 64MB cache BBU
>    2x Intel Xeon E5405 / 4x 2.00GHz / 1333MHz FSB / 12MB cache
>    6GB RAM
>
>    Cost around 2320 GBP -- it would be great to get it under 2000
>    Needs to be in the UK.

> I would be grateful for any comments. I'm particularly out of date about
> the best processors to go for. DNUK also have Opteron as an option.

That sounds pretty good. It should run postgres fairly well, especially if
you have quite a few parallel queries coming in. You won't need a bigger
BBU cache if it's read-heavy. You'll have eight CPU cores, which is good.
And RAID 10 is good.

As for Intel/AMD, I think they're neck-and-neck at the moment. Both are
fast.

Of course, we over here have no idea how much actual read traffic there
will be, so you may be massively over-providing or it may be woefully
inadequate, but this machine looks like a fairly good buy for the price.

Matthew

--
No trees were killed in the sending of this message.  However a large