Re: TB-sized databases

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Peter Koczan <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TB-sized databases
Date: 2007-11-26 17:34:01
Lists: pgsql-performance

We have several TB database in production and it works well on
HP rx1620 dual Itanium2, MSA 20, running Linux. It's read-only storage for
astronomical catalogs with about 4-billions objects. We have custom
index for spherical coordinates which provide great performance.

Oleg
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Peter Koczan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a user who is looking to store 500+ GB of data in a database
> (and when all the indexes and metadata are factored in, it's going to
> be more like 3-4 TB). He is wondering how well PostgreSQL scales with
> TB-sized databases and what can be done to help optimize them (mostly
> hardware and config parameters, maybe a little advocacy). I can't
> speak on that since I don't have any DBs approaching that size.
>
> The other part of this puzzle is that he's torn between MS SQL Server
> (running on Windows and unsupported by us) and PostgreSQL (running on
> Linux...which we would fully support). If any of you have ideas of how
> well PostgreSQL compares to SQL Server, especially in TB-sized
> databases, that would be much appreciated.
>
> We're running PG 8.2.5, by the way.
>
> Peter

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83